Saturday, January 28, 2012

Greetings

Figured I should post something sometime. I'm married, three kids, a lawyer at Workland & Witherspoon, PLLC, and teach at Gonzaga University School of Law. I also 'do' some triathlons and with that I'm a member of Tri Fusion, a groovy tri club here in Spokane.

For a number of years post law school I grew, grew, and grew.  Got to 310.  I'm on the right; big, big boy.


Then on July 4, 2008, I was grilling some awesome sausage, burgers, etc. and realized (in my XXXL tee shirt) that being fat wasn't me.  I rowed at Boston College and was into sports my whole life, but let myself slip into fatness.  The next day I busted out my bike and started to ride.  After a quick loss of 20 pounds I returned to the gym, got a personal trainer, and started to lift and do plyo.  Then in November of 2008 started running 1 minute on, 1 minute off.  Then 2, 3, and 4 on with 1 off.
In May of 2009 my friend and co-worker told me about a sprint triathlon he did years ago in Medical Lake.  We looked it up and it was still around so we signed up.  I hadn't really swam since I was a kid, but I had lost some weight was feeling good and figured I could do it no problem.  I greased myself into a wetsuit Jim had and it took me 9 minutes to cross that tiny little lake.  Had to side stroke.  It was awful.  But I finished and was hooked.

So I signed up for more, bought a Tri bike when a local bike shop had a clearance sale and made the commitment to finish an Ironman.  In 2010 I did Boise 70.3 (with a nice expensive detour to the ER after, which caused me to learn about nutrition).



Then Troika (a local half), as well as a bunch of sprints and Olympic distance races.  In 2011 I 'did' Ironman Coeur d'Alene (finish 14 hrs plus, so FOREVER and then some) and learned a lot (no bibs, really hard to get off quickly when you have to go).


I'm a participant, I'm not fast, I never will be. But I have fun training and 'participating.'

This year I am again doing IM CDA and hope to update this blog along the way. Not that anyone will see it.  But I'm not a pro, I don't make money off of triathlons, spend too much money and time on it, and know, for me, it's about the journey not the time.
It's been almost 4 years since Big Fat Eric.  He was jolly, some say way more fun, but I'm glad he's gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment